Given the complexity of several of the winning projects voted on April 10, 2010, a few of our projects remain pending. Some were relatively straightforward infrastructure projects, and others are taking longer to complete. But, we are making progress! Check back for further updates.
- Bike Lanes on Touhy, Ashland & Rogers (Phase I). COMPLETED. Initially delayed due to a shortage of striping materials (light-reflective paint), but the Chicago Department of Transportation (CDOT) completed the work in Summer 2011.
- Bike Racks (Artistic). PENDING. CDOT has approved specifications as to size, materials, etc., and investigation is underway as to fabrication costs. The process will include an RFP (similar to the murals project), a community vote on the design, manufacture and installation.
- Community Garden at Dubkin Park. COMPLETED. Built by Department of Environment (DOE) GreenCorps in late Summer 2011. Planting scheduled for Spring 2012.
- Convenience Shower at Loyola Park. COMPLETED. Situated outside near the Loyola Field House. Completed in Summer 2011.
- CTA Heating Shelters with Benches. COMPLETED. Installed at the Jarvis, Morse and Loyola Stations in Spring 2011.
- Dog-Friendly Area (Dog Park) at Pottawatomie Park. COMPLETED. Lengthy initiative included planning committee, architects, etc., involvement. Completed in Fall 2011.
- Path Completion in Touhy Park. COMPLETED. Partial path in the park was extended in Fall 2010.
- Sidewalk Repairs. PARTIALLY COMPLETED. Fifteen sites were repaired, but the City significantly increased scope and cost of repairs, so the final cost was well beyond the funding originally approved by the community. The remaining sites were added to the 2011 ballot, but did not receive enough votes to receive new funding. Per PB49’s Transportation Committee, several of these sites will now reappear on the 2012 ballot.
- Traffic/Pedestrian Signal on Clark at Chase. PENDING. Final estimate from the City was significantly higher than the original. As the crossing is by a school, funding is being sought from both City and State agencies.
- Solar-Powered Garbage Containers on Sheridan. ON ORDER. Final costs from the City exceeded the original City estimate by about 10%. The original plan was for 10 containers; there will now be 8, all on Sheridan Road. All locations have been recently approved by the Department of Streets and Sanitation.
- Street Resurfacing – Lunt, Ashland to Ravenswood. TO BE FUNDED BY DEPARTMENT OF WATER MANAGEMENT! The repaving has been on hold since 2010 due to water-main replacement under sections of Lunt. Work has already been completed from Ravenswood to Ridge. Now, this month, DWM informed us that these new mains will be installed under the entire length of Lunt, with complete repaving following, paid for by DWM. Therefore, menu money will not be needed to repave this street and can be reallocated to overruns of other projects.
- Historical Signs for Rogers Park. PENDING. CDOT/Streetscape Division has informed us as to the approved design for these signs (similar to historical markers found downtown in the Loop). Awaiting cost estimates and process from CDOT.
- Street Lights on Morse. COMPLETED. The project was originally for residential lights (two-bulb upper and lower lights), but was changed to ornamental lights to complete the Morse Avenue Streetscape lights from Wayne to Morse. Lights were installed in Fall 2011.
- Underpass Murals. 12 out of 13 COMPLETED. Project started with a published RFP, resulting in 160 entries from local artists. Reduced to 24 finalists by an expert panel, and 13 designs chosen by popular vote at the 2010 Glenwood Sunday Market. Completed murals grace both Union Pacific/Metra and CTA underpasses. Completed in Fall 2011.