The 49th Ward’s Participatory Budgeting, in its third year, is off to a great start!
Residents of the 49th Ward have the power to decide how to spend my 2012 Aldermanic “menu money”–a $1.3 million discretionary fund I receive annually for infrastructure improvements in the ward. The 2012 Participatory Budgeting process, which began in October 2011 with a series of “Neighborhood Assemblies” that have been held throughout the ward, will conclude on November 17th.
The ward is organized into eight sections or areas, with a Neighborhood Assembly held in each area. In addition, a Spanish language Assembly will be held for the entire ward on November 15th. The Neighborhood Assemblies, open to any 49th Ward resident, provide attendees with a brief description of the aldermanic infrastructure menu program and the Participatory Budgeting process. Assembly attendees are then asked to brainstorm ideas for possible uses of the infrastructure menu money.
At the conclusion of the meeting, we ask for volunteers to serve as “community representatives,” who are charged with developing specific spending proposals for a ward-wide vote in March 2012.
We have held six Neighborhood Assemblies so far and the turn-out has been terrific! The number of residents becoming involved in the process has grown substantially, and the proposed projects promise to make this upcoming election exciting. Already the number of community representatives is over 70, and we have three more Assemblies to go!
All meetings begin promptly at 7:00 PM but join us early at 6:30 PM for free pizza, courtesy of JB Alberto’s.
- Wednesday, Oct. 19th, St. Margaret Mary Church Activity Center, 7331 N. Claremont Ave. (Area B)
- Thursday, Oct. 20th, Pottawattomie Park Fieldhouse, 7340 N. Rogers Ave. (Area C)
- Monday, Oct. 24th, Loyola Park Fieldhouse, 1230 W. Greenleaf Ave. (Area F)
- Thursday, Oct. 27th, New Field School, 1707 W. Morse Ave. (Area E)
- Tuesday, Nov. 1st, Loyola University, Centennial Forum Student Union, 1125 W. Loyola Ave. (Area H)
- Thursday, Nov. 3rd, United Church of Rogers Park, 1545 W. Morse Ave. (Area G)
- Tuesday, Nov. 15th, Iglesia San Jerónimo, 1709 W. Lunt Ave. (Spanish language)
- Wednesday, Nov. 16th, Alden Village North, 7464 N. Sheridan Rd. (Area D)
- Thursday, Nov. 17th, Willye White Park, 1610 W. Howard St. (Area A)
If you missed the Neighborhood Assembly in your area, make sure you attend one of the last three scheduled Assemblies. I don’t want anyone to miss out on the chance to have a say in the infrastructure projects to be funded in the ward.