After meeting with City experts, conducting inspections, careful research, and reviewing cost estimates, the 5 committees have managed to narrow down the long lists of suggested improvement projects resulting from the Neighborhood Assemblies late last year (Arts & Other Committee received close to 50 suggestions!) to those listed below. Please note that the committees will continue examining these various projects to present to you a more concise list at the 2nd round of Neighborhood Assemblies in April, so come back as we continue to update the list below. The following projects are currently being considered:
1. Streets Vote – A separate question will appear on the ballot asking voters to vote on a specific percentage of the 2012 aldermanic menu budget that should be devoted exclusively to street resurfacing. The votes on this separate question will be tallied and an average calculated. That average will determine the percentage of the 2012 aldermanic menu budget that will be devoted exclusively to street resurfacing. The cost of resurfacing this year is $36,ooo for the first 5 blocks, and $58,000 per block after that to cover half the cost of installing the handicapped curb cuts. The following streets and alleys are being considered for resurfacing this year (listed in alphabetical order):
- 1200 W Birchwood Av – Lake to Eastlake Tr
- 1300 W Birchwood Av – Eastlake Tr to Sheridan Rd
- 7600 N Bosworth Av - Howard St to Jonquil Tr
- 7500 N Claremont Av – Birchwood Av to Howard St
- 7400 N Damen Av – Jarvis Av to Fargo Av
- 7450 N Damen Av - Fargo Av to Birchwood Av
- 1800 W Estes Av - Ravenswood Av to Wolcott Av
- 7050 N Glenwood Av – Greenleaf Av to Estes Av
- 7100 N Glenwood Av – Estes Av to Touhy Av
- 1600 W Greenleaf Av - Ashland Av to Paulina Av
- 7051 N Clark St (Alley north of Greenleaf Av)
- 2000 W Jarvis Av - Damen Av to Seeley Av
- 2050 W Jarvis Av – Seeley Av to Hoyne Av
- 2100 W Jarvis Av – Hoyne Av to Ridge Av
- 7700 N Marshfield Av – Jonquil Tr to Juneway Tr
- 1750 W Morse Av – Clark St to Ravenswood Av
- 1700 North Shore Av – Clark St to Hermitage Av
- 1734 North Shore Av – Hermitage Av to Ravenswood Av
- 7050 N Paulina Av – Greenleaf Av to Estes Av
- 7100 N Paulina Av – Estes Av to Touhy Av
- 7600 N Marshfield Av (Alley north of Howard St)
- 1000 W Pratt Bl – Lake to Sheridan Rd
- 6800 N Ravenswood Av (west) – Pratt Bl to Farwell Av
- 6900 N Ravenswood Av (west) - Farwell Av to Morse Av
- 7400 N Seeley Av - Jarvis Av to Fargo Av
- 1700 W Wallen Av - Clark St to Metra
Arts and Innovation
2. Underpass Murals – twenty-two murals are being proposed, at a cost of $5,500 each, for a total of $121,000, at the CTA and Metra locations below.
- 1400 W Estes (south wall) – replaces an older, worn down mural
- 1800 W Estes (north wall)
- 1800 W Estes (south wall)
- 1400 W Chase (north wall)
- 1400 W Chase (south wall)
- 1800 W Birchwood (north wall)
- 1800 W Birchwood (south wall)
- 1800 W Touhy (north wall)
- 1800 W Touhy (south wall)
- 7300 N Greenview (southeast wall)
- 7300 N Greenview (northwest wall)
- 1400 W Morse (south wall)
- 1800 W Morse (north wall)
- 7400 N Rogers (north wall)
- 7400 N Rogers (south wall)
- 1800 W Pratt (north wall)
- 1500 W Sherwin (north wall)
- 1440 W Sherwin
- 1100 W Sheridan (north wall)
- 1100 W Sheridan (south wall)
- 1800 W Farwell (south wall)
- Dubkin Park – cost of large wall mural lessened to $5,500 by contracting with Alternatives Youth Group
3. Leaf Out the 49th Ward – 100+ trees will be planted in parkways, in-filling areas where trees are missing or have never been planted, to achieve a 20% tree canopy coverage by 2020 ($75,000).
4. You Are Here Information Sites – visitor information sites will be installed at each CTA and Metra station entrance in the 49th Ward ($175,000).
Parks and Environment
5. Touhy Park Playground Completion - an additional $125,000 will cover the remaining costs for the installation of a $450,000 playground.
6. Pottawatomie Park Water Feature - above ground ($75,000).
7. Albion/Hartigan Parcel Improvement - create contemplative garden at Albion and the Lake ($150,000).
8. New Drinking Fountains – Loyola Park and Paschen Park ($8,000 each; $24,000).
Traffic and Public Safety
Five residential light replacement projects are being proposed: new aluminum poles with 250-watt main fixture and 50-watt ornamental sidewalk fixture at an estimated cost of $65,000 per block, and 250-watt fixtures directed to areas of concern at $500 per unit. In addition, four traffic safety projects with varying costs.
9. 1400-1600 W Juneway Tr - Sheridan Rd to Ashland Av (2 blocks; $130,000).
10. 1400-1600 W Estes – Glenwood Av to Ashland Av (2 blocks; $130,000).
11. 6950-7200 N Glenwood Av – Lunt Av to Touhy Av (2 blocks; $128,000).
12. 1200-1250 W Sherwin – Sheridan Rd to the Lake (1 block; $65,000).
13. Flood Lights at 2000 W Birchwood & Chase Av (8 units; $4,000).
14. Parking Reconfiguration Eastbound on Jarvis Av from Clark Av ($16,000).
15. Pedestrian Safety at Ridge Av – four intersections ($70,000).
16. Pedestrian Safety at Howard St CTA Station – pedestrian signage and restriping ($17,000).
17. Pedestrian Safety at Pottawatomie Park – additional signage and restriping at Wolcott Av, Rogers Av and Honore St, and an ADA pedestrial ramp ($22,000).
18. Rogers Park Bike Network, Phase 3 – Add striped bike lanes on Clark St from Howard St to Albion Av ($60,000).
19. Bus Stop Benches – Locations at 16 bus stops in the 49th Ward at a cost of $2,450 each ($39,200).
20. Metra Stop Enhancements – New three-sided structure for southbound riders ($125,000).
21. Sidewalk Repairs – Repair the sidewalks in the 49th Ward that are in need of attention–priority given to those leftover projects from 2010-2011 ($150,000).